Is being harassed and/or threatened

Welcome! You have now arrived at our web site designed to provide you with information about what to do if you or someone you know is being harassed and/or threatened.

  • Contact the police and tell them that you would like to fill out an incident report
  • Contact the office of Victim Services and ask to speak with a victim advocate. An advocate can be reached at (352) 392-5648 or (352) 392-1111. An advocate can assist you with medical, legal, and counseling services.

Harassing phone calls and e-mails:

  • Immediately report the calls or e-mails to the police.
  • Keep a log of all calls and/or a copy of all e-mails received; include the date, time & details of the call/e-mail.
  • If you are continually harassed, you may want to consider changing your phone numbers and/or e-mail address.

For phone calls:

  • Pay attention to any background noises, the caller’s sex, accent, speech pattern, or anything else that might aid in identification.
  • Use *69 service. This service is available free on all Division of Housing telephones. Off-campus, there will be a charge of $1.00 per use. When you use this service, record the number and report the number to the police.
  • If calls are recorded on an answering machine, save the tape and provide it to the police.

For e-mails:

  • If the offender is known, send them a clear written warning to stop sending you e-mails. Communicate that the contact is unwanted, and ask the perpetrator to stop sending communication of any kind. Then, no matter what the response, do not communicate with the harasser again.
  • If harassment continues, you may file a complaint with the harasser’s Internet service provider, as well as with your own Internet provider.
  • Make copies of all e-mails, being sure to get the address they were sent from, and report these to the police.

Sexual Harassment:

  • Do not appear to ignore the harassment; your silence may be mistaken for consent.
  • If possible, speak up when the incident occurs, and tell the perpetrator to STOP the offensive behavior in a clear and firm manner.
  • Consider communicating with the harasser by writing a letter detailing your concerns and asking the person to STOP.
  • Keep a written record, noting incidents as they occur and any witness that may be present. Keep any physical evidence (notes, letters, pictures, etc.) and anything else that will corroborate your story.
  • Tell somebody. Talk to a trusted friend or colleague, teacher, administrator, supervisor, or supervisor’s supervisor (including department chairs and college deans), crime victim advocate or counselor.


University of Florida Web Site:

*UF Policy on Sexual Harassment